CALL FOR CVS
Position: Review of the NMP and GCM Implementation Plan Consultant
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria
IOM Classification: National Consultancy
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 6 Months with possible extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 03 August 2023.
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity. Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
The National Migration Policy (2015) is the overarching national policy for the management of migration issues in Nigeria. Due to the cross-cutting and evolving nature of migration, the policy is expected to be reviewed periodically, to integrate emerging developments in the migration landscape into the policy. To this end, the Technical Working Group on Migration and Development (TWG), chaired by the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants, and Internally Displaced Persons (NCFRMI), initiated the process of reviewing the NMP, by constituting a review committee to oversee the process. Reporting to the review committee and the TWG, the Consultant is expected to carry out stakeholder consultations and provide a national, regional, and global update to the NMP, the NMP costed action plan and the national implementation plan for GCM. The consultations and revisions will be based on a whole of Government and whole of society approach.
1. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The successful candidate is expected to perform these duties:
- To facilitate the review and update of the National Migration Policy (NMP) with inputs from relevant stakeholders through provision of technical support for the development and validation of the draft policy by the Federal Executive Council.
- To develop a National Implementation Plan for the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly, and Regular Migration (GCM) in Nigeria by harnessing the positions of the Technical Working Group on Migration and Development (TWG) and the recommendation at the *International Migration Review Forum (*IMRF); conduct an explicit desk review using national, regional and global instruments: the African Regional Review of the GCM; the international stocktaking in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and the intergovernmental negotiation in New York.
- Undertake a desk review of the NMP and existing frameworks, sectoral policies, laws, resolutions and other instruments related to migration and development, and make recommendations on key elements for inclusion.
- Support the Government of Nigeria to harness the positions of the Technical Working Group on Migration and Development (TWG) and all relevant stakeholders to the Global Compact for Migration in Nigeria through the conduct of a desk review of existing GCM instruments to determine the status of implementation.
- Support capacity building of all relevant stakeholders on migration management policy development and the policy cycle aimed at ensuring that the revised policy is strategic, fit-for-purpose, sustainable, and coherent with other policy sectors.
- Facilitate workshops and meetings with the government partners and relevant stakeholders, lead breakout sessions, and engage with thematic lead agencies and other relevant organizations for the review of the National Migration Policy and development of the GCM implementation Plan.
- Prepare reports of sessions of engagement carried out within the context of achieving the deliverables of the consultancy.
- Produce the draft revised National Migration Policy document for review and validation by stakeholders.
- Produce the costed action plan for the revised National Migration Policy for review and validation by stakeholders.
- Produce the draft National Implementation Work plan for the GCM in Nigeria for review and validation of stakeholders.
- Prepare two final reports for the review of the National Migration Policy and the GCM Implementation plan.
- Work with the Government of Nigeria, the TWG, and NMP review committee in drafting and finalizing the National Migration Policy and the GCM implementation plan.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
2. Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
Working under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer (MM), IOM Abuja, and in close coordination with the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management & Social Development, and the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants, and IDPs, the successful candidate will be expected to prepare, compile, and present the revised National Migration Policy and the Implementation Plan for Global Compact for Migration.
Category B Consultants: Tasks to be performed under this contract (with realistic delivery dates if applicable)
The total duration of the consultancy is 6 months commencing between, August 15th, 2023, to February 29th, 2024. The Consultancy will be all inconclusive costs including travel and accommodation undertaken for the delivery of this contract.
3. Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment (with realistic delivery dates)
- First deliverable Desk- Prepare Inception report and work plan – August 30, 2023 (First Instalment – 20%)
- Second deliverable – Facilitate training session on migration policy development, facilitate zonal workshops to identify gaps and areas of priority for the national migration policy and GCM implementation plan, and submit draft documents and activity reports – December 31, 2023. (Second Instalment – 20%)
- Third Deliverable – Facilitate review and validation meetings/workshops, produce updated and approved National Migration Policy with a costed action plan and GCM Implementation Plan with inputs from relevant stakeholders/partners, and submit validated versions of the documents – January 31, 2024. (Third Instalment – 20%)
- Fourth deliverable – Submit Two final reports submitted and approved – Feb. 16, 2024. (Fourth and final Instalment 40%)
4. Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
- Strict adherence to timelines and schedule of activities.
- High-quality written documents
- Timely analysis, production, and sharing of the report.
- Post-Graduate or University Degree, preferably in Social Sciences, with a specialization in (Migration, Geography, Law, International Population Studies,) or equivalent training.
- 5 years of relevant experience working in the field of migration and organization of national consultations and events.
*6. Experience & Skills:***
- Experience in developing national policies in Nigeria is required while experience in developing regional policy or guiding documents is preferred.
- Familiarity with migration issues at national, regional, and global levels.
- A good track record of working with the Government of Nigeria and international organizations.
- Excellent drafting and reporting ability
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good interviewing and listening skills and experience in conducting Key informant interviews and focused group discussions is required.
Travel across Nigeria
Fluent in spoken and written English.
Ability to speak and write in one or more Nigerian languages will be an advantage and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
7. Required Competencies:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to [email protected] indicating the position number on the subject line by Thursday, 03 August 2023, and follow this link: https://forms.office.com/e/8nkPXZ2b5x
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM), and with a subject line CFCV2023.083. Abuja. Review of the NMP and GCM Implementation Plan Consultant
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV)
From 21.07.2023 to 03.08.2023