The Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) is an international economic development organization whose mission is to create business solutions to poverty. MEDA was founded in 1953 by a group of Mennonite entrepreneurs. Our expertise includes a full range of economic development tools: financial services, gender responsive and environmentally sustainable technology, business training, access to market information, better access to markets and equity investment. MEDA partners with people living in poverty to start or grow small and medium-sized businesses in developing regions around the world. MEDA works alongside partners and clients, projected by both private and institutional donors to find business solutions to poverty.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Expression of Interest (EOI) to Facilitate a 2-Day Optimization Workshop for Empowerment Learning Centers (ELC) Officials
Expected to Collaborate with: The Gender Coordinator at MEDA and the local organizations
Nigeria Way Project
- With funding from the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada, the Youth Entrepreneurship and Women’s Empowerment in Northern Nigeria project (Nigeria WAY) was designed with an ultimate outcome to Increase contribution by entrepreneurs (ENs) and small-scale businesses (SSBs), particularly those run by women and youth, to Nigeria’s economic growth. Efforts its year six of project implementation, the project focused on establishment of Empowerment Learning Centers (ELCs) across the seven LGAs comprised of 10 people able leaders to serve as the working committee to oversee the affairs of the ELCs. The function of the ELCs requires ELCs leadership as well as members to have a corresponding capacity to govern effectively, expanding operation and participation.
- To improve efficiency and boost capacity of the ELC leaders in a two-day workshop is scheduled for the ELCs to optimize them for effective performance so to sustain MEDA interventions and activities beyond the life of the project.
Objective of the Consultancy
- The objective of the Expression of Interest is to recruit a Consulting Firm that will facilitate a 2-day Optimalization workshop to support the capacity building of the ELC leadership in 7 LGAs to take ownership of the ELCs and its impact.
Scope of the Assignment
- MEDA acknowledges that effective management and focused leadership is vital in addressing organizational and community challenges.
- Leadership is built on solid management skills and therefore the Nigeria WAYs seeks to enhance the existing organizational strengths of the ELCs through good leadership and governance principles (participation, accountability, transparency, efficiency, and dynamism) to make sound responsive decisions on behalf of their team and the entire people of the communities.
- It is on this basis that MEDA is organizing a 2 Optimization workshop for 3 ELC leaders from each of the 7 LGAs to transform their mindsets of the ELC leaders to take ownership of the ELC capacity, to improve their organization skills so that they are focused and strategic.
- This 2-day optimization workshop aims to build ownership of the ELC by ELC Leaders to enable the sustainability of their actions after MEDA’s close out.
Specifically, the retreat is expected to:
- Provide ELCs with keys to stay focused, think strategically and work optimally.
- To support ELCs have a deep individual and collective reflection on the Nigeria WAY project activities and impact that needs to be sustained.
- Improve conflict sensitivity, compassion, and commitment to teamwork and enhance mutual trust and support within the ELCs.
The following tasks are expected during and at the end of the activities:
- Assess the ELC team’s working dynamics through interviews with MEDA staff and key management team members.
- Lead the design and develop the agenda and delivery methodology of the teambuilding workshop for 21 ELC leaders, in consultation with the MEDA’s management team.
- Facilitate the workshop, including developing activities and exercises aimed at strengthening and encouraging ownership of the ELC structures, efficient and effective communication, team building, knowledge, and information sharing.
- Write a 10-page workshop report that includes the results of the assessment of working dynamics, identified strengths and weaknesses in communication and collaboration within the team and recommend how to build on strengths and address weaknesses.
- Inception report which includes a detailed workplan/method to achieve the objectives of the Optimization Workshop
- Final 10-page report on Optimization meeting with Annexes.
- The Consultants are expected to collaborate with the Gender Coordinator at MEDA and the local organizations.
The Firm / Consultant must have:
- At least 10 years of current and relevant work experience, with a focus on facilitating meetings or workshops for international development organizations.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and implementing a wide range of interactive methods to strengthen teams and improve communication in the workplace.
- Cultural sensitivity and experience moderating meetings of culturally diverse groups.
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- Effective communication skills and report writing.
- Experience working on or knowledge of agricultural market systems, women and gender development issues are added asset.
Application Closing Date
3rd April, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified consulting firms should send their Expression of Interest to: [email protected] using “Optimization Workshop” as the subject of the mail.
- Interested Consulting firms are to submit brief profile of the firm (Organization) and CVs of the Facilitator/s clearly highlighting the bidder’s suitability and capacity for the provision of services required.
- Contact information for three professional references with whom the prospective consultant has provided similar services in the last three years.
- A summary of the proposed approaches and methodology and a detailed work plan for the effective delivery of the Optimization workshop
- A financial bid incorporating all elements of the expected deliverable (as above) and broken down to show the bidder’s daily rate. Prices should be in Nigerian Naira.
Note: Submission of Expression of Interest must be electronically via email.