The Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is an advisory and research organization focused on evaluation and implementation of behavioral interventions in understudied countries and populations. Busara’s mission is to work with researchers and organizations to advance and apply behavioral science in pursuit of poverty alleviation. This involves the application of research and rigorous methods to enable partners to improve program design, evaluate existing programs, and optimize internal processes. To this end, Busara has worked with a variety of organizations in an advisory capacity to apply behavioral insights, build analytical models, and develop new products. In addition, in its research center capacity, Busara operates a Nairobi-based lab capable of implementing advanced experiments in psychology, behavioral economics and other academic disciplines.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience: 4 years
- Location: Lagos
- Job Field: Consultancy , Data Science / Research
Objective of the Assignment
- The consultant will work as part of a larger project team composed of other full-time staff and consultants, and is expected to make contributions to an ongoing study phase for two projects to understand the demand for digital health tools and platforms in Nigeria.
- This would involve several steps; firstly, pretesting the qualitative data collection instruments, i.e., guides for in-depth interviews and focus group discussions, supporting study participant recruitment, facilitating high quality data collection through engaging interviews, transcription of qualitative interviews and facilitating co-design sessions with study participants.
The consultant will assist in the following areas:
- Analysis of field data (tool testing)
- Recruiting study participants in target populations in line with study inclusion criteria
- Data collection (via in-depth interviews and focus group discussions) to generate in-depth insights from the participants
- Producing high quality interview/discussion transcripts
- Tracking data collection activities
- Facilitating co-design sessions
- A Bachelor’s degree in Experience Design, Human Centered Design (HCD), Design, Social Sciences e.g. Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, International Development and Humanities, Economics, Public Policy, or related fields. Advanced degrees preferred.
- Experience conducting field-based activities and interviews in Nigeria.
- Experience planning and facilitating co-design workshops in Nigeria.
- Strong qualitative research skills Experience working with low-income populations in emerging markets and/or experience working on the continent.
- Experience of applying behavioral or psychological constructs and theories to design approaches.
- Prior experience in social impact or development: A passion for social change typically evidenced by a strong interest and prior experience applying creative approaches to social issues such as economic development, global health, education or the environment.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in qualitative research.
- Strong research, synthesis, ideation and visual storytelling skills. Strong ability to present information in a concise, insightful, structured and provocative manner, both in written and oral forms.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player.
- High attention to detail.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Strong ability to communicate the power of design to stakeholders from varied backgrounds.
- Fluency in Yoruba Language is a plus.
Duties of Busara
- The Busara team will provide overall clarification on expectations and technical support as required.
- Busara will provide contextual information required, including already generated long list of ideas.
Duties of the Consultant
The consultant will:
- Operate from own office other than in exceptional situations and provide own manpower, work facilities, equipment, stationery, supplies, and all operational requirements to carry out the assignment and provide the services required;
- Deliver high-quality service within the agreed timelines.
- Liaise with the Engagement Director on a regular basis to report progress, and report any issues and/or concerns that may affect the performance of the consultancy in the course of the assignment