UN Women – In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Consultant, INEC Gender Assessment
Duration of Initial Contract: 3 Months
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Additional Category: Gender Equality
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 22-May-2023
Duties and Responsibilities
- We seek to engage a senior national consultant to support INEC and UN WOMEN team with the gender post electoral assessment to enhance the gender inclusivity of the commission and ensure a more inclusive electoral process.
Specific objectives of the assignment are:
- Assist INEC in reviewing the new electoral legal and procedural framework from a gender perspective
- Discuss the challenges of women’s participation as voters, candidates and electoral staff
- Assist INEC in producing recommendations to improve INEC interventions in terms of gender and inclusivity
- Work with the INEC gender department to identify relevant departmental and directors to participate in the assessment retreat.
- Work closely with the INEC gender and inclusivity department to build linkages with the different departments at INEC towards the gender assessment.
- Conduct consultations with key INEC staff.
- Conduct a desk review of INEC electoral processes
- Facilitate sessions during the assessment retreat
- Harmonize all findings and recommendations from the different departments of INEC participating in the assessment.
- Prepare and submit to UN Women, a report of the assessment including findings and recommendations.
- Act as lead facilitator of the assessment retreat
- Compile the working groups work and data and finalize the gender assessment report
- Liaise with INEC for the validation of the document to be printed and published
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality submission of reports
- Analysis of secondary and primary data
- Survey tools
- Presentation of findings to key stakeholders
- Engagement with INEC
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Social Science Research or related field (e.g., Statistics, Political Science, International Relations, Gender, Development, Communications, Public Relations) or a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in research and data analysis.
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of elections in Nigeria
- Proven experience facilitating and making presentations targeting high level stakeholders.
- Proven experience and evidence of having conducted previous assignments on research and data analysis.
- Proven track record of working with INEC is an asset
- Experience of working with multi-stakeholder organizations is desirable: governments, CSOs, and the UN/ multilateral/bilateral institutions
- Knowledge of issues related to gender equality in Nigeria is desirable
- Strong report writing and development of knowledge products
- Fluency in English is required.
- Excellent English writing skills is required.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multiethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Excellent knowledge of contextual gender equality literature, women’s rights, empowerment and participation in leadership and decision making
- Sound practical knowledge of initiatives to promote women’s political participation.
- Proven experience of working on political and electoral processes and working with political stakeholders including INEC, political parties, women aspirants and candidates etc.
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Excellent networking and communication skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Ability to break down complex information and simplify to facilitate understanding by persons with limited literacy
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture
- Extensive experience in developing and finalizing technical documents/reports.
Application Closing Date
11th May, 2023 (Midnight New York, USA)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
UN Women’s Statement on Diversity and Inclusion:
- At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
- If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
- UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)