Malaria Consortium – Established in 2003, Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organizations specializing in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases, among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions. We work in Africa and Asia with communities, governments, academic institutions, and local and international organizations, to ensure effective delivery of services, which are supported by strong evidence.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lead Consultant: SMC Impact Assessment
Locations: Abuja (FCT), Kogi and Oyo
Employment Type: Contract
- Werequire qualified research personnel who will support the SMC research and M&E teams to collect quantitative data for the SMC impact assessment in the three selected study states.
- The consultants and the supervisor will train data collectors and oversee data collection process while data collectors will carry out the actual data collection using an electronic survey checklist and upload finalized and complete forms on SurveyCTO.
- The study will use a plausibility evaluation design involving routinely collected data from January to December 2021 and 2022.
- Study locations are as described earlier. Study design, sampling plans and other methodological considerations are described in greater detail in the study protocol.
- In brief, the evaluation will involve comparisons of key malaria outcomes between the pre-intervention year (2021) and SMC intervention year (2022) in selected states and FCT.
- It will use routine health facility-reported data from January 2021 to December 2022 from selected health facilities in two states and the FCT.
Specific Activities for the Personnel
- Liaise with the SMC research and M&E teams for the successful conduct and completion of the SMC impact assessment in Kogi, Oyo and FCT. This will include for example, reviewing the dataset in SurveyCTO for the data collected across the two states and FCT for completeness, accuracy etc., prior to analysis.
- Develop the training materials, including PowerPoint presentations, pre- and post-tests etc. for training evaluation.
- Lead the training of data collectors and the coordination of the supervisors engaged for the SMC impact assessment.
- Provide quality assurance by pilot-testing the data collection tools as well as conducting on the spot checks during the data collection process.
- Ensure the maintenance of data security in line with agreed data management policies and data transfer and protection agreements.
- Support as required, subsequent stages of data analysis and scientific report writing.
- Produce a comprehensive consultancy report outlining all the activities undertaken, including challenges, lessons learnt, recommendations etc. for the SMC impact assessment.
- Training materials, including PowerPoint presentations, pre- and post-tests as well as report of training evaluation.
- Dataset for data collected for the SMC impact assessment in Kogi, Oyo and FCT.
- Consultancy report, outlining best practices, challenges, lessons learnt and recommendations for the SMC impact assessment in Kogi, Oyo and FCT.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences or related fields and at least 7 years post graduation experience.
- Previous experience in assessments, and surveys, especially within the Public Health sector. Knowledge of malaria and its prevention, diagnosis, and treatment is required.
- Excellent training and supervisory skills.
- Excellent technical writing and presentation skills.
- A proven ability to work as part of a team and independently.
- Excellent capacity for data analysis, especially quantitative data analysis and interpretation.
- Demonstrated report writing skills for quantitative studies and surveys.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and to remain flexible and calm under pressure.
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing bottlenecks/issues desired.
Timeline for Activities:
- The timeline for the assignment isbetween 16th October – 29th December 2023.
- The supervisors and data collectors will be required to attend and participate in a 2-days training for the data collection process prior to the actual fieldwork.
Number of Contractual TA – Days:
- 8 days.
Application Closing Date
9th October, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- All application should be sent in on or before 7:59am Monday, 9th October 2023. Kindly note that applicants who do not follow this specification, will be disqualified.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Kindly note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and as a result, the application process may conclude before the advertised deadline. Therefore, early applications are highly encouraged.
- Malaria Consortium does not accept or ask for payment during recruitment. We also would not accept hardcopy CVs; all applications should be sent through the above link.