Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. The organisation works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lead Consultant – Perennial Malaria Chemoprevention (PMC) Qualitative Study
Employment Type: Contract
Duration: August – December 2023
Total TA days: 16-days
- Malaria Consortium requires qualified lead consultant who will explore context-based factors that may affect coverage, acceptability, adoption of Perennial malaria chemoprevention (PMC) formerly Intermittent Preventive Treatment in infants (IPTi) and Expanded programme on immunization (EPI) vaccines, side effects, views on malaria and other related themes from caregivers, local leaders, and separately with health facility workers in the project sites through a qualitative research approach.
Specific Tasks for Lead Consultant (Qualitative Study)
In consultation with the PMC project team:
- Develop and agree on sample size and the methodology to be used to conduct the qualitative research (FGDs)
- Adapt study protocol for the qualitative research.
- Prepare an interview guide and translate it into appropriate local languages.
- Prepare data analysis plan.
- Identify and recruit the interviewers.
- Train interviewers and supervisors.
- Pre-test and finalize interview guide.
- Identify respondents for FGDs.
- Conduct the interviews and related activities.
- Coordinate the transcribing of the records of the interviews.
- Organize and analyze data, and establish data management platform.
- Prepare draft report and present findings to PMC project team.
- Finalize draft report.
- Survey protocol and instrument (harmonized with the research study protocol)
- Completed interview guide(s) and sociodemographic form
- Data collection work plan
- Training report
- Baseline qualitative data transcribed
- Analysis of results for the qualitative data
- Summary technical report and power points slide of key findings
- Presentation of key findings to project principal investigators and project team
- Final Report
- Final Consultancy Report
Type of Consultant required:
- One Senior National Consultant
Qualifications and Experience
- National and/ or regional consultancy expertise in Public Health, Epidemiology, Global Health, Implementation Research and related field with at least 10 years of experience.
- Hold a Postgraduate Degree.
- At least 8 years of professional experience in conducting qualitative research.
- Experience: 10 years experience.
- Familiarity with Focus Group Discussion (FGD), Key Informant Interviews (KII), In-depth Interview (IDI) or similar qualitative research tool is a plus
- Proven experience in writing reports for public health programs or projects in Nigeria or similar developing country context.
- Knowledge of qualitative data analysis software such as Atlas ti, NVivo, Dedoose, etc.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Extensive knowledge of the Nigerian public health sector.
- A proven ability to work as part of a team and to be self-managing
- Experience in setting up and facilitating meetings
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Good writing and reporting skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Proven academic experience, including pieces of research, publications, and written reports
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English.
Application Closing Date
10th August, 2023 at 7:59am.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Applicants who do not follow this specification, will be disqualified.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Kindly note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, therefore early applications are highly encouraged.
- Malaria Consortium does not accept or ask for payment during recruitment. We also would not accept hardcopy CVs; all applications should be sent through the above link.