The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) invites experienced and interested local television production and broadcasting companies to indicate interest by submitting RFP documents for the following works:
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is a United Nations organization tasked with helping countries eliminate poverty and achieve sustainable economic growth and human development. Headquartered in New York City, it is the largest UN development aid agency, with offices in 170 countries.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Proposal (RFP) – Production and Live Television Broadcasting
The 2023 General Elections in Nigeria will be held, in large part, on 18 February 2023. The 2023 General Elections will see the emergence of a new President and Vice President, as well as new representatives for the 10th National Assembly comprising 109 members of the Senate and 360 members of the House of Representatives. Following the first round of elections, twenty-nine gubernatorial elections will be held alongside elections to state Houses of Assembly in all 36 states with a total of about 991 seats.
The rising threats to democracy across the world have left most democratic nations struggling to preserve and sustain the promise of democracy and the opportunities for revival will be dependent on the ability to influence the level of citizens satisfaction with democracy.
The crisis of confidence in democratic institutions has also resulted in political apathy and resistance from citizens to participate in the electoral process in Nigeria. Since the return to democracy in 1999, Nigeria recorded the lowest rate of voter turnout of 34.75 percent at the last presidential election held on 23 February 2019. In fact, there has been a conspicuous decline in voter turnouts in presidential elections since 2003.
While the decline in voter turnout is mostly attributed to voter apathy and dearth of information on the political and electoral processes in the country, recent engagement by Yiaga Africa in the electoral process has revealed that increasingly, citizens’ dissatisfaction with the quality of leadership and bad governance has deepened the lack of interest in participating in the electoral process. In addition, beyond apathy, there is more of a citizen’s resistance to participate in a system that has not produced the expected outcome or added the promise of democracy as projected.
Accordingly, there is a need to move beyond the traditional one-way communication of information delivery on election processes to an engaging two-way dialogue between citizens and relevant stakeholders to increase citizens participation in the electoral process. Civil society, development partners, the election management body and various stakeholders must begin engaging citizens in a meaningful way and mainstream political awareness as a necessary ingredient in our democracy.
It is in this context, that Yiaga Africa and UNDP Nigeria are looking to bridge the information gap and provide a public platform for citizen townhalls and political debates to promote electoral awareness of the upcoming 2023 General Elections. The platform will be designed as a live televised programme series broadcasted from a large external public venue to serve as a major source of information on voter registration, permanent voter card (PVC) collection, voter turnout, youth and women candidacy and engagement, election guidelines and critical thematic election topics leading up to the 2023 General Elections.
The overall objective of the series will aim to:
- Build trust and inspire participation among Nigerian citizens, especially the youth demographic, in the electoral process towards the 2023 General Elections.
- Demystify the electoral process and provide timely and accurate information on the 2023 General Elections.
- Provide a platform to serve as a major source of information on voter registration, permanent voter card (PVC) collection, youth and women candidacy, and other critical thematic election topics for the 2023 General Elections.
- To bring critical development issues for Nigerian youth and women to the forefront of the public debate ahead of the 2023 General Elections.
In view of the above, UNDP Nigeria is seeking to procure the professional services of a local television production and broadcasting company to assist in the planning, coordination, and production of the above mentioned live TV broadcast programmes.
Scope of Work
UNDP Nigeria wishes to engage the services of one (1) television production and broadcasting company to support with the planning, coordination, production, and live broadcasting of:
- Four (4) two – hour long live broadcast citizen townhalls broadcasted from an external public venue centered on thematic issues related to the 2023 elections such as the importance of the elections for Nigeria’s future, the need for increased women and youth participation in the electoral process, among others.
- Two (2) two-hour long presidential debates broadcasted from an external public venue that provide Nigerian political parties the opportunity to discuss and debate relevant issues related to the 2023 elections
Application Closing Date
3rd June, 2022.
Submission of Documents
If you are interested in submitting a Proposal in response to this RFP, please prepare your Proposal in accordance with the requirements and procedure as set out in this RFP and submit it by the Deadline for Submission of Proposals set out in E-tendering system. Proposals must be submitted in the online e-tendering system in the following link: https://etendering.partneragencies.org using your username and password. Search for BU: NGA10. RFP Event ID: RFP2022050
If you have not registered in the system before, you can register now by logging in using the below username and password, and follow the registration steps as specified in the system user guide in (https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/procurement/business/resources-for-bidders.html)
- Username: event.guest
- Password: why2change
- Your Proposal must be expressed in English language, and valid for a minimum period of one Hundred Twenty (120) days.
- You are kindly requested to indicate whether your company intends to submit a Proposal by clicking on “Accept Invitation”. This will enable you to receive amendments or updates to the RFP.
- Should you require further clarifications email; [email protected], kindly communicate with the contact person/s identified in the Bid Data Sheet as the focal point for queries on this RFP.
- It shall remain your responsibility to ensure that your proposal is submitted into the system by the deadline appearing on e-Tendering portal. Kindly ensure that supporting documents required are signed and in pdf format, and free from any corruption.