The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) invites interested and capable language translators (Igbo and Hausa) to indicate interest by submitting RFP documents for the following works:
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), is a United Nations agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide. The agency is among the most widespread and recognizable social welfare organizations in the world, with a presence in 192 countries and territories.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Request for Proposal (RFP) U-Report Language Translation Services – Hausa and Igbo
Reference No: RFP 9174024
The U-Report platform was officially launched in Nigeria on the 29th of April 2015 and since its official launch, this tool has been used to engage over 3.4 million Nigerians across the country, educating them and giving them opportunity to speak up on issues that concern them in their own language.
U-Report polls are being translated into 5 different languages: English, pidgin, Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa. Mallum Ventures is one of the U report translators whose primary responsibility is to translate poll questions and alerts, unsolicited messages from U-Reporters into Igbo and Yoruba and review on unsolicited messages in Igbo and Hausa.
Scope of the Assignment
- Accurate translation of polls from English language to Hausa and Igbo languages and vice-versa while maintaining UNICEF’s policy standard of information sharing for young people and children.
- Technical know-how of using UNICEF’s Rapidpro software to translate U-Report polls.
- Maintain the terminology standard i.e., using the closest equivalents for words to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of all translations.
- Ensure full comparison of the original and translated texts for overall coherence and comprehension.
- Translate messages that come into the UPartners platform in Hausa and Igbo to English to enable the Data officers respond to the users
- Provide translation support to the U-Report team when designing new promotional materials for dissemination
- Open, follow-up, escalate, and close cases raised in the U-Partners Platform in Hausa and Igbo languages.
- Any other duties assigned by Supervisor.
Reporting Requirements/ Deliverables
The vendor will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Ensure quality and accuracy of the translated polls on Rapidpro before polls are launched.
- Ensure consistency of localized adaptation of translations done on behalf of U-Report Nigeria.
- Ensure translations are done within the stipulated time frame to aid program execution
- Regular follow up of the Hausa and Igbo folders for messages via UPartners platform
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge / Experience Required
- The organization should have qualified investigators/researchers at least two with bachelor’s degree and above in languages (Igbo & Hausa)
- The consulting institution should solid organizational workflow capacity for translation processes.
- The consulting institution should a proven track of translation services of at least 5 years.
- The consulting firm should ensure availability to attend to urgent translation request or services.
- Show knowledge and understanding of technical matters in the requested languages
- Have outstanding reading, writing, translation and interpreting skills.
- Must be familiar with the basics of navigating Rapidpro software.
Call for Proposals
A two-stage procedure shall be utilized in assessing the proposals, with assessment of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. Applications shall therefore contain the following required documentation:
- A technical proposal that includes a brief cover letter and understanding of the assignment is required.
- Updated profiles/ CVs of the team members listing similar experiences/ assignments, highlighting key focal persons.
- Two examples (studies) of the firm’s engagement in similar activities and assignments.
- A financial proposal with a breakdown of all costs that are to be charged to UNICEF. This includes estimated number of working days, consultancy fees and all office administrative costs.
Financial Proposal:Application Closing Date
2:00pm, 19th April, 2022.
Submission of Documents
All proposals should be submitted to: [email protected] with the RFP number used as email subject title. kindly separate the technical proposal from the financial proposal.