Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Visual Artist – Consultant
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Contract
Timeframe / Schedule: Aug 28th – 4th September 2023
The Consultant will report to: GESI Manager
The Consultant will work closely with: SPO GESI
Program / Department Summary
- This is a five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Community Initiative to Promote Peace (CIPP).
- The CIPP program aims to strengthen conflict prevention, mediation, and early warning by facilitating community-led analysis and action to prevent, manage, and mitigate conflict and violent extremism.
- The program will work in twenty-four (24) high-risk local government areas in Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau states.
- To that effect, CIPP is looking for a consultant to support the design of the Parenting for Peace (P4P) Training of Trainers (TOT) guide (paper, electronically).
- We seek to fill the role of a Visual Artist who is responsible for the entire process of defining requirements, visualizing, and creating graphics, including illustrations, layouts, and photos for the Parenting for Peace (P4P) Training of Trainers (TOT) GUIDE.
- The consultant is to offer excellent design services that are both timely and of high quality. This involves creating uncomplicated, practical, and attractive visualizations for the P4P TOT GUIDE (paper, web). The consultant will design graphics for the P4P TOT GUIDE (paper, electronically), and using professional graphic design software to improve the overall look of the publication.
- He/She will be the one to shape the visual aspects of the P4P TOT GUIDE.
The Consultant will:
- Study the P4P TOT GUIDE and decide on the format and visual appearance.
- Prepare rough drafts and present ideas
- Develop illustrations, and other designs using software or by hand
- Assist and propose design for: text, images, tables and graphics and design / generate the necessary graphics (custom graphics, photo montages, computer graphics, etc.) for the P4P TOT GUIDE.
- Propose alternatives in relation to these two media (paper and electronically).
- Interact with many actors including translators and printers.
- Will be available to enhance the appearance of the document that is created.
The Consultant will:
- Ensure that the designs are high resolution images of 300dpi or more, have a low text-to-image ratio, have appropriate blend of color, composition and white space, and creatively appeal to the target audience.
- Create animations for illustrative purposes such as animations, presentations and more advanced solutions
- Keep logo size and positioning consistent in every design.
- Be flexible to adapt to any changes
- Present draft designs to the project team for review and incorporate feedback from the team to finalize the designs.
- Prepare and submit a brief consultancy report highlighting the key results and lessons of the consultancy.
- Provide own transport to and from work (if needed)
- Provide own computer
- Provide own airtime for calls and data
- Deliverables as stipulated above
Required Experience & Skills
- Graphic designer with University Degree in Social Sciences or its equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Graphics Design
- Attach a link to portfolio or copies of the previous job done.
- Evidence Certifications in Graphic Designing Courses and CV
- Must be a team player.
- A strong eye for visual composition.
- Must be proficient in design packages: InDesign, Photoshop, CorelDraw, Publisher Word, PowerPoint etc.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Good spoken and written English.
- Familiarity with NGO documentation will be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
17th August, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Portfolio, CV and Cover Letter in one document to: [email protected] using the position as the subject of your application.