Global Village Healthcare Initiative for Africa (GHIV Africa) is a Non-governmental, Non-for profit humanitarian/Developmental organization which started in 2014. We deliver assistance to affected populations before, during and after crisis situations. GHIV Africa was founded to mitigate the health deficit in Africa and to provide all forms of assistance leading to improved quality of life.
The organization is equally poised to support the delivery of healthcare services at the doorsteps of every African village by bridging the gap between primary health care delivery and tertiary health care services through a robust referral system. We offer assistance in need to the most vulnerable population regardless of their religion, race, gender and or political affiliation. Our decisions as an organization are not based on political, economic or religious interest but solely on needs of the affected population.
In other to successfully implement this project, we are looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant
Locations: Damboa, Gwoza and Pulka – Borno
Job Type: Part Time
- GHIV Africa since moving to Northeast Nigeria in 2019 has been implementing humanitarian and developmental interventions in Health, Education, WASH, Livelihoods and Protection.
- These interventions have directly targeted over 6000 vulnerable children, women, girls and boys as well as people with disabilities.
- Access to Safe Equitable, Inclusive and Gender Transformation Education is a project by GHIV Africa in partnership with Nigeria Humanitarian Fund (NHF). One of the innovative and critical aspects of the ongoing project is to address the barriers to quality learning being experience by learners living with disabilities in Damboa, Gwoza and Pulka.
- In an effort to bridge the identified gaps, GHIV Africa in partnership with NHF is planning to procure ten (10) eye glasses and distribute to children on this project in need of such assistance.
- This is necessary to improve the quality of learning and learning outcomes among the visually impaired children in Temporary Learning Centers (TLCs) in Damboa, Gwoza and Pulka.
- The consultant will visit Damboa, Gwoza and Pulka to screen and diagnose ten (10) enrolled learners that may need eye glasses. Over a period of 3 working days, the consultant is to plan and develop a framework and write report at the end of the activity.
- Also, the consultant is expected to work with the education team (Project Implementation Team).
- Asses and examine out of school learners with impaired vision in our three (3) implementing locations on Education, which are Damboa, Gwoza and Pulka.
- Manage children with impaired vision.
- Operate equipment such as ophthalmic lenses.
- Provide advice and reassurance to children with impaired vision and families.
- Educate the children with impaired vision understand their medical condition.
Requirements and Skills
- University Degree in Optics and Optometry or Ophthalmology or related field.
- Advanced qualifications or certifications in Optometry or Ophthalmology will be an advantage.
- More than two (2) years working experience in the field.
- Proven work experience and name of the organization work with (Eye clinic or hospital), provide evidence.
- Eye assessment skills as it deals with eye screening ,diagnosis and prescription of medical eye glasses.
- Experience in working with Government agencies, NGOs or hospital would be an added advantage.
- Time management (in managing deliverables)
- Time management.
- Professionalism, courtesy, patience .
- Fluency in English, Hausa, Kanuri, and basic fulfulde language is an added advantage.
- Knowledge and understand DO NO HARM principles and internationally recognized child safeguarding standards.
- Good knowledge of child safeguarding, PSEAH policies, and concept of DO NO HARM, and good at working with children and vulnerable people especially in emergency settings.
- Experience working with Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs),refugees, and other vulnerable populations.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: Women candidates are encouraged to apply.