The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Consultant – Endline Evaluation for “Addressing Gaps in Gender-Based Violence and Harmful Traditional Practices in Nigeria Project
Job Identification: 10427
Locations: Bauchi, Sokoto and Oyo
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Gender Equality & Human Rights
Vacancy Type: Individual Consultancy
Rotational/Non Rotational: Non-Rotational
Contract Duration: 2 months
Required Languages: English
Desired Languages: English
Number of Consultant: One (1)
Duration of Assignment: 38 working days
Purpose of Consultancy
- To provide leadership and technical expertise for conduct of End-of-Project Evaluation for the “Addressing gaps in Sexual/Gender-based Violence and Harmful Traditional Practices in Nigeria” project, funded by Global Affairs Canada.
- To assess if the project reached its targeted results through its theory of change; to determine the relevance and level of achievement of project objectives, development effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability; to provide an assessment of the geographic and demographic coverage of the SGBV/HTP & OF project actions and the ability of UNFPA to connect immediate, life-saving service support with long-term development objectives; to draw key conclusions from past and current cooperation with Global Affairs Canada, and provide a set of clear, forward-looking and actionable recommendations for the next funding cycle; and to inform and broaden the evidence base for the design of the next SGBV project.
Scope of Work (Description of Services, Activities of Outputs:
- Under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Deputy Representative and direct supervision of the Head of Population & Development/Evaluation Manager, working closely with the Gender/RH Specialist and the evaluation reference group (ERG).
The International Consultantis the Evaluation Team Leader with overall responsibility for carrying out the evaluation exercise and is expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Overall responsibility for the design, implementation and reporting for the evaluation exercise.
- Provide technical expertise related to the project’s sexual/gender-based violence and harmful practice’s theme including gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Responsible for timely submission of all expected deliverables in line with the Concept and ToR of the evaluation process.
- Lead development and finalisation of the (a) evaluation matrix (incl. the final evaluation questions, indicators, data sources and data collection methods); (b) data collection tools and techniques (incl. interview and group discussion protocols); (c) a detailed evaluation work plan and agenda for the field phase.
- Provide leadership in development of the Inception Report comprising of the evaluation approach, methodology and work plan as well as the agenda for the field phase.
- Liaises with the National Consultants to coordinate the field phase including data analysis and validation
- Lead in drafting and presentation of the final evaluation report to relevant stakeholders
- Undertake any other related task to ensure the successful completion of this consultancy
The expected outputs are:
- An Inception/Design report, which should include: (a) the evaluation approach and methodology; (b) the final stakeholder map; (c) the evaluation matrix; (d) data collection tools and techniques; (e) a detailed evaluation work plan and agenda for the field phase; and (f) an outline of limitations.
- A PowerPoint presentation of the Design report, to be delivered at the meeting with the ERG and GAC.
- At end of field phase, PowerPoint presentation of key preliminary findings of the evaluation, for debriefing of the CO and ERG.
- Draft evaluation report, presenting the findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Final evaluation report (maximum 70 pages, excluding annexes), presenting the findings and conclusions, as well as a set of practical and actionable recommendations.
- PowerPoint presentation of the evaluation results.
Delivery Dates ad and How Work will be Delivered (e.g. electronic, hard copy etc.):
- The final report of the SGBV/HTP project end-line evaluation and PowerPoint presentation of the findings, soft copies, would be delivered to the Head of Population & Development/Evaluation Manager withinsix weeks of commencement of the consultancy.
Monitoring and Progress control, Including Reporting requirements, periodicity format and Deadline:
- The Consultant shall report directly to the Head of Population & Development/Evaluation Manager, and functional reporting to the Gender/ RH Specialist, Maternal Health Advisor, and the UNFPA Deputy Representative.
- The consultant will be supervised by Head of Population & Development/Evaluation Manager. The Consultant is the evaluation team leader and will supervise the national consultant and field data collectors including data analysts.
- Minimum travel, remote work modality
Required Expertise, Qualifications and Competencies, Including Language Requirements
- Post-graduate Degree in Gender or Women Development Studies, Social Science, Public Health, and/or other related fields;
- At least 10 years of professional experience in conducting and managing project/programme evaluations especially in Gender/SGBV and SRHR in developing countries.
- Substantive knowledge on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, SGBV and other harmful practices, such as female genital mutilation, early, child and Early forced marriage, and issues surrounding masculinity, gender relationships and sexuality.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience in SGBV and HTPs situation and trends, and thorough understanding of the social, economic and political context of Nigeria.
- Research skills with earned scientific paper publications in gender/SGBV, public health and population/development.
- Ability to ensure ethics and integrity of the evaluation process, including confidentiality and prevention of harm to evaluation subjects.
- Ability to consistently integrate human rights and gender perspectives in all phases of the evaluation process.
- In-depth knowledge of theory-based evaluation approaches and ability to apply both qualitative and quantitative data collection methods and to uphold standards for quality evaluation as defined by UNFPA and UNEG.
- Excellent management and leadership skills to coordinate and supervise the work of the evaluation team.
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team of experts.
- Excellent ability to analyze and synthesize large volumes of data and information from diverse sources and formulate evidence-based conclusions and realistic and actionable recommendations.
- Excellent communication (written and spoken), facilitation and knowledge-sharing skills.
- Work experience & good knowledge of the region and the national development context of Nigeria.
- Fluent in written and spoken English is desirable.
- Inputs / services to be provided by UNFPA or implementing partner (e.g support services, office space, equipment), if applicable
UNFPA shall provide the following:
- Engage a National Consultant, an SRHR expert, to assist the Lead Consultant.
- Stipends for engagement of Data Collectors and Analysts.
- Other relevant information or special conditions, if any
The Consultant’s fees shall be paid in line with the following schedule and upon acceptance of key deliverables:
- Upon approval of the design/inception report: 20%
- Upon submission of a draft final evaluation report of satisfactory quality: 40%
- Upon approval of the final evaluation report and the PowerPoint presentation of the evaluation results: 40%
Duration and Working Schedule
The consultancy will be for a period of thirty eight days (during which the consultant will interface with the Evaluation Manager and also conduct all the assigned tasks:
|Dissemination and facilitation of use||X||X|
Compensation and Benefits
- This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
Application Closing Date
19th May, 2023
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- This consultancy assignment is NOT for Nigerian Nationals
- This is a remote work consultancy.
- The End-of-project evaluation will be conducted in 3 states and the federal capital territory. These include:
- North East: Bauchi State
- North West: Sokoto State
- South West: Oyo State