Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) is a non-profit organization that promotes socio-economic development by supporting global health and economic initiatives in Nigeria. AHNi currently has its headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Services Consultant
Required Services: Consultancy to provide technical support to the Laboratory unit (NAHI grant)
Proposed Dates: May – September 2023.
Commencement Date: 15th May, 2023
Duration: 120 days
Job Category: Contract
- The Global Fund supported National Aligned HIV/AIDs Initiative, NAHI aims to reduce the incidence of new HIV infections, mortality, and morbidity due to HIV/AIDS in Nigeria (with focus on key and vulnerable populations).
- In reaching this goal it is expected in line with the UNAIDS 2020 vision that 95% of key and vulnerable populations have access to quality Laboratory services across supported sites in Anambra, Ebonyi and 13 states.
- To strengthen laboratory services, 6 laboratories in Anambra and Ebonyi are undergoing national accreditation as an added value to the Lab program.
Description / Purpose of the Consultancy
- The Laboratory consultant will support the HQ laboratory unit to improve implementation and coordination of Laboratory services in Anambra, Ebonyi, PCR Labs and OSSs.
- S/He will; support Laboratory Quality Management Systems (QMS) across supported sites Interphase with MLSCN and supported Sites for improved performance in EQA scheme Optimize Viral load and EID uptake and support the 3 PCR Laboratories for improved VL/EID coverage
- Support Accreditation preparedness of select Laboratories in Ebonyi and Anambra states.
Objectives of the Consultancy
- The objective of this consultancy is to support and supplement the Laboratory unit HR needs for improved performance
Consultancy Overview and Role
The services of the Laboratory Consultant with the HQ team will include the following:
- Provide technical support related to the laboratory services and management component of HIV/AIDS care and treatment for general and key populations
- Support the implementation of Laboratory Quality Management Systems (QMS)
- Support the optimization of Lab services at the PCR Labs that leads to zero back log of samples and improved VL/EID coverage
- Support the quality control functions/ activities, in collaboration with the SR Lab teams in Anambra and Ebonyi including quality control inspections schedules and the collection of quality control records; ensure the availability of high-quality documentation
- Support the review and monitoring of QA and QC activities of the Laboratory to determine conformance with established standards
- Support the unit to develop lessons learned from activities related to laboratory services and management for HIV/AIDS care and treatment and apply these lessons to improve performance
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Based on the activities listed above, the Consultants are expected to produce or accomplish the following:
- Collate and review IQC and EQA results and ensure follow up actions on non-conformities at the ART, PMTCT and OSS sites.
- Liaise with MLSCN EQA unit for improved performance of all the supported sites.
- Document weekly and monthly progress of six selected labs on accreditation preparedness
- Liaise with MLSCN Accreditation unit for sustained support to select labs.
- Liaise with SRs and select Labs ‘Hospital management to track progress on accreditation preparedness.
- Ensure routine support, monitoring and analysis of the VL coverage across SRs for improvement.
- Ensure collation and review of monthly equipment functionality report.
- Develop lessons learned from activities related to laboratory services.
- Submit monthly reports.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in laboratory setting of which 3 must be on a HIV laboratory management donor funded program
- Certification / license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required
- Experience in a clinical laboratory setting and working in a donor funded program is required.
- Proven experience in project development, QMS implementation planning and facilitating technical training.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable
- Experience in a GF funded project will be an added advantage
Application Closing Date
17th May, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Curriculum Vitae to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.