This job description (JD)/scope of work (SOW) sets forth the services to be provided by the G-ANC Manual Development Consultant to Technical Advice Connect LTD/GTE (TAConnect), a non-profit organization registered in 2021 and based in Nigeria to bring innovative solutions to the provision of Technical Assistance (TA) services to states in Nigeria.
Location: Kano & Abuja
Career category: Program/Project Management
Years of experience: 5-9 years
Background: TAConnect was established by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) to deliver tailored and cohesive support to states in Nigeria by strengthening their PHC systems and enhancing PHC service delivery. As an innovative platform, we respond to state TA priorities to promote sustainable improvements in state Primary Healthcare (PHC) systems’ performance and increase uptake of Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child, and Adolescent Health and Nutrition (RMNCAH+N) services. We value trust and transparency, excellence, teamwork, respect, innovation, and sustainability, in all our program operations and stakeholder engagement.
Going forward with the successes of GANC/PNC innovation, TAConnect under its new investment will be supporting states to leverage the G-ANC/PNC model as a veritable platform to layer a suite of contextualized RMNCAH+N high impact interventions leveraging a strong data driven and evidence-based framework that will ramp uptake of key services such as family planning, maternal and childhood immunization, malaria in pregnancy, nutrition and newborn care service with the aim of improving maternal and newborn outcomes.
With the significant change in the scope of the GANC model with the expectation to layer high impact interventions along the continuum of care, it has become imperative and expedient to review and update the GANC manual to reflect the current implementation approach to ensure that G-ANC/PNC cohorts receive integrated and holistic services along the continuum that are women centered and of high quality. This update will ensure that the G-ANC manual is enriched with relevant content on high impact interventions such as PPFP, PAFP, Immunization and newborn care and cross cutting themes such as gender to provide cohorts with adequate information to make informed decisions to improve their health.
In view of the foregoing and in line with its principles of being adaptive, innovative, and iterative, TAConnect plans to conduct a workshop to update the existing G-ANC manual and develop a cGANC/PNC manual for pilot implementation. We are therefore seeking a highly skilled and experienced consultant to facilitate the co-creation workshop.
The goal of this workshop is to update the GANC manual to reflect its expanded scope and to develop a manual for community G-ANC pilot in Gombe and Yobe States.
The consultant will support planning and facilitation of the workshop session and ensure active participation and productive dialogue. In addition to this, the consultant will perform the following roles:
Before the event
- Support the finalization of the agenda for the GANC manual update workshop.
- Become familiar with GANC concept, content of the manual, and different methodologies to deliver the agenda items.
- Conduct literature review of existing RMNCAH HII best practices and Key targeted messages
- Meet program staff prior to the workshop to finalize planning for the event.
- Design final report template together with TAConnect program team
During the event
- Capture in appropriate format (e.g., handwritten notes, typed notes, recorded notes, photographs, handouts and presentations) all pertinent information for all breakout sessions, and plenaries.
- Present a summary of the discussion, highlighting conclusions, recommendations, and/or next steps (these should be included in the summary report, detailed in the output section below).
- Prepare a summary report using the format provided, highlighting the main topics, objectives and themes of each session as well as provide a summary of key outcomes of the event including suggested follow up.
- Synthesize workshop outcomes and deliver a high-quality final report.
- An updated and integrated G-ANC manual that is holistic and women centered to facilitate uptake of HII along the continuum of care to improve health outcomes.
The period of the assignment will be 10 working days. This assignment is on a full-time and output-based basis.
Duty Station: Kano and TAConnect’s Abuja office
The consultant will work under the overall supervision of the Technical Director at TA Connect. The consultant will also work closely with the Program Analyst, M&E Manager, and Program Manager.
- Analytic capacity and demonstrated ability to process, analyze and synthesize complex, technical information.
- Proven ability to support the development of high-quality knowledge and training materials,
- Proven experience in the developing country context and working in different cultural settings.
- Communicate effectively in writing to a varied and broad audience in a simple and concise manner.
- Capable of working in a high-pressure environment with sharp and frequent deadlines, managing many tasks simultaneously.
Required Qualification and Experience
- Advance Degree in Public Health.
- At least 7 years of experience organizing co-creation workshops or similar events focused on RMNCAH interventions.
- Deep knowledge of RMNCAH issues and best practices, and experience working with diverse stakeholders in the field
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Strong project management and organizational abilities
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including government officials, healthcare providers, community leaders, and NGOs.
How to apply
If you are passionate about improving RMNCAH outcomes and have a proven track record of delivering successful co-creation workshops, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. Qualified candidates should apply by sending their comprehensive CV, Cover Letter, highlighting your competence and previous relevant experience, as a single document (PDF or Doc) to [email protected] using the Job Title “G-ANC Manual Development Consultant” as the subject. All applications should be sent on or before 17 May 2023. Only successful candidates at this pre-qualification stage will be contacted.